Sunday, October 2, 2011

Empowered by the Atonement

So I went and talked to my bishop a while back. I may have procrastinated for a while, cause I wasn't looking forward to it. I don't know who would be. I went in, we chatted, it was good. Then we got down to business. I told him what had happened, and we just talked about it. I didn't have to give up my recommend, which made me SO happy, I can't even say. At one point he started talking about Christ's love for us. He talked about how Christ has more love for us than anyone on this earth can comprehend. His love is always there for us. It doesn't matter what we have done, we can't change that love for us. He loves us infinitely. When my bishop said this, I really felt the spirit. I knew that Christ loves me. I knew that He will always love me. If I don't feel it, it is because of something I have done, I have pulled away. So anyway, I loved it. I know that it is true. I know that Christ loves us unconditionally. It really doesn't matter what we have or haven't done. We can do things though that bring us in and out of favor with the Lord, but His love is always there. I love it. I love Him. I have gone to the temple frequently, and I absolutely love it. I am so glad that I am worthy to go.

So recently, I heard someone's story of their recovery from alcoholism. It was somewhat of a generic story, they hit rock bottom, and then had a moment of clarity where God basically told them they could change or die. They decided to change. Throughout the recovery process they continued to have these moments of God talking to them. Throughout the story, the word that just kept repeating in my mind was "empowering". When I think of the word empowering, I think about the Atonement. The Atonement was the reason that this person was able to change their life and to become free from their addiction. Those moments of clarity where they heard God speaking to them was the Atonement in action. It was God's encouragement, and gift of empowerment so that they could carry on, and continue to make these amazing changes in their life. What I realized was that the Atonement works in everyone's life. It really doesn't matter who you are, where you have been, what you have or haven't done, or what you believe. The fact of the matter is that the Atonement is still there, and it is still working. Just as this addicts life was completely turned around, just like I have been working to overcome my addiction, the Atonement is always there, empowering change. Even in the lives of those who are not addicted to something, the Atonement is still there, always working.

I am so grateful for the Atonement, but also, I am so grateful that I recognize the power in my life for what it is. It makes is so much more meaningful, and loving because I know that my Savior died for ME. He died so that I can change, and become better, and return to live with Him again. And I know that He did that for you too. I know I don't come close to fully understand the Atonement, but I think that everyone would benefit from learning more about how the Atonement blesses their lives each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment